- UPSC ESE Syllabus 2018
Latest Update (29/09/2017):- The UPSC has released official examination syllabus and pattern for Engineering Service Exam (ESE-2018). Candidates can check ESE 2018 preliminary, mains and personality test syllabus here.
The Union Public Service Commission has now released official syllabus and exam pattern for engineering service exam 2018. The official exam notification is now available on the official website of UPSC (www.upsc.gov.in). The online application forms are now available from 23rd September and last date to apply online will be 23rd October 2017. Many candidates have already applied for this exam and now they have been searching for UPSC ESE Syllabus 2017, Exam Pattern and Solved Question Papers to prepare for the prelims and mains exam. Get all the information related to UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2018 right on this page.
Every year UPSC conduct ESE in order to fulfill various engineering vacancies in central government department. This in 2017, the official notification was released on 23rd September 2017. The preliminary exam was expected to be conducted in the moth of Jan, 2018. This page provide all information related to exam syllabus, prelims and mains pattern and best books to prepare for this entrance exam.
UPSC ESE Syllabus 2018
|Name of Organisation||Union Pubic Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Name of Exam||Engineering Service Exam 2018|
|Number of Vacancies||588|
|Online Application Form Available From||23/09/2017|
|Last Date To Apply Online||23/10/2017|
|Date of Preliminary Exam||07/01/2018|
|Date of Mains Exam||February 2018 (Tentative)|
|UPSC ESE Syllabus Status||Available Now|
UPSC ESE Pattern 2018
- Stage-I: Engineering Services (Preliminary/Stage-I) Examination (Objective Type Papers) for the selection of candidates for the
- Stage-II: Engineering Services (Main/Stage-II) Examination (Conventional Type Papers) and
- Stage-III : Personality Test
- The Engineering Services (Preliminary/Stage-I) Examination will consist of two objective type (multiple choices) questions papers and carrying a maximum of 500 marks (Paper 1 – 200 Marks & Paper II – 300 Marks).
- Only those candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified in the Preliminary/Stage-I Examination in the year will be eligible for admission to the Main/Stage-II Examination of that year provided they are otherwise eligible for admission to the Main/Stage-II Examination.
- The Marks obtained in Preliminary/Stage-I Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the Main/ Stage-II Examination will be counted for determining their final order of merit. The number of candidates to be admitted to the Main/ Stage-II Examination will be about six to seven time the total approximate number of vacancies to be filled in the year through this examination.
- Note:- The Commission will draw a list of candidates to be qualified for Engineering Services (Main/Stage-II) Examination based on the criterion of minimum qualifying marks in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper (Paper-I) and Engineering Discipline specific paper (Paper-II) of Preliminary/Stage-I Examination.
- Note:- There will be penalty (Negative Marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the objective type question papers.
- There are four alternative for the answers to every question. For each question for which a wrong answer has been given by the
candidate, one-third (0.33) of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty.
- If a candidate gives more than one answer, it will be treated as a wrong answer even if one of the given answers happen to be
correct and there will be same penalty as above for that question.
- If a question is left blank i.e. no answer is given by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question.
- The Engineering Services (Main/stage-II) Examination will consist two conventional type papers in Engineering Discipline specific with duration of three hours and maximum marks of 600 (300 Marks in each paper).
- The Stage-III will consist of Personality Test carrying 200 Marks.
- Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the Stage-I: Engineering Services (Preliminary/Stage-I) and Stage II:
Engineering Services (Main/Stage-II) Examination as may be fixed by the Commission as per its discretion, shall be summoned by them for Stage-III (Personality Test).
- The number of candidates to be summoned for Personality Test will be about twice the number of vacancies to be filled.
- The Personality Test will carry 200 marks (with no minimum qualifying marks).
- Marks obtained by the candidates in the Stage-I:(Preliminary/Stage-I) Examination, Stage-II:(Main/Stage-II) Examination and Stage-III (Personality Test) would determine their final ranking. Candidates will be allotted to the various services keeping in view their ranks in the examination and the preference expressed by them for the various services/posts.
UPSC Preliminary Engineering Service Exam Pattern
|Name of Subject||Paper||Duration||Max Marks|
|(General Studies and Engineering Aptitude)||Paper-I||2 Hours||200|
|Concerned Engineering Subject||Paper-II||3 Hours||300|
UPSC Mains Engineering Service Exam Pattern
|Name of Subject||Paper||Duration||Max Marks|
|Concerned Engineering Subject (Part-1)||Paper-I||3 Hours||300|
|Concerned Engineering Subject (Part-2)||Paper-II||3 Hours||300|
Personality Test (200 Marks) (Descriptive Type):- In the Personality Test special attention will be paid to assessing the candidate’s capacity for leadership, initiative and intellectual curiosity, tact and other social qualities, mental and physical energy, powers of practical application and integrity of character.
UPSC ESE Prelims Syllabus 2017 2018
General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Compulsory For All)
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development.
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability.
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis.
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety.
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services.
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment.
- Basics of Project Management.
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering.
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e governance and technology based education.
- Ethics and values in Engineering profession.
Note:- The paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude will include Knowledge of relevant topics as may be expected from an engineering graduate, without special study. Questions from all the 10 topics mentioned above shall be set. Marks for each Topic may range from 5% to 15% of the total marks in the paper.
UPSC ESE Prelims & Mains Syllabus
- Click Here For UPSC ESE Syllabus 2017 2018 (Civil Engineering)
- Click Here For UPSC ESE Syllabus 2017 2018 (Mechanical Engineering)
- Click Here For UPSC ESE Syllabus 2017 2018 (Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering)
- Click Here For UPSC ESE Syllabus 2017 2018 (Electrical Engineering)
UPSC ESE Previous Year Solved Question Papers PDF Download
We will soon going to update links for previous year solved question papers for UPSC ESE exam for both mains and prelims. The application process is still underway and it will take us some time to find those question papers and upload them here so you can download them as PDF. Till then be patience and stay with us because all question papers and their solutions will be posted here soon.
Important Books For UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2018
Note:- These are the recommended books and solved question papers are available now on the Amazon India store. Sorry, I can’t post the direct link so please copy the link and paste it in your browser URL bar.
- UPSC ESE 2018 Civil Engineering – Chapter-wise Solved Papers (http://amzn.to/2wolJ9J)
- UPSC ESE 2018 Mechanical Engineering – Chapter Wise Solved Papers (http://amzn.to/2k955t5).
- UPSC ESE 2018 Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering (http://amzn.to/2fE63wd).
- UPSC ESE 2018 Electrical Engineering – Chapter Wise Solved Papers (http://amzn.to/2hzHUat)